TK and K5
Choosing the right education for your child is an important decision. As parents, we have been tasked by God through scripture to teach our children truths about God and His creation. As educators, Hickory Grove Christian School (HGCS) seeks to be a partner with parents in this truth sharing process. With that partnership in mind, HGCS seeks to provide several alternatives for your children as they begin their educational lives. In consultation with HGCS, we want you to make the best educational choice for your child.
With increasing academic demands in kindergarten, some children may not be ready for a kindergarten program. Our Transitional Kindergarten (TK) program has traditionally served as year one of a two-year kindergarten program when a child tested "not ready" for kindergarten. We later expanded that group to include children who turn five between the cutoff date of October 16 and April 16.
Transitional Kindergarten should serve as a bridge between preschool and kindergarten - to help provide students with time to develop the fundamental skills needed for success. This program requires children to be placed in a developmentally appropriate setting designed to provide high-quality educational experiences to enhance future school readiness.
Our TK program will equip children to be successful socially and academically in school by giving young five-year-old children the opportunity for success in all five early education developmental domains.
1. Approaches to play and learning
2. Emotional and social development
3. Health and physical development
4. Language development and communication
5. Cognitive development
After much collaboration, we have decided to offer parents the ability to select a program uniquely suited to their child’s readiness. By choosing the appropriate program, HGCS will be able to invest intentionally in the lives of young children and their families. We have the flexibility of offering the following options:
- Transitional Kindergarten (TK) for those turning five on or before April 16. Students will still have to qualify for the program by passing a developmentally appropriate skills assessment.
- Full day four-year-old Preschool at Harris Early Education Center.
- Half-day four-year-old Preschool at Mallard Creek Early Education Center.
- Kindergarten (K5) at Harris Campus for those turning five by October 16. Students will still have to qualify for the program by passing a developmentally appropriate skills assessment.
Our time with our children is short; therefore, it is critically important that we make sound, thoughtful decisions about the best placement for them. As you make your decision, we appreciate your consideration of Hickory Grove Christian School for your child! Click here to learn more about the registration and admissions process for the upcoming school year.